Monday, April 12, 2010

Some links I like

I've been trying to blog more, and these recent sites have been open in Firefox for basically the whole weekend. I thought I was going to make an individual post on each but I don't have the time and other work and school requirements are beckoning, so I'll share quickly.

Walter Williams has a great syndicated column this week, "Parting Company". Worth reading in its entirety but this might be the key paragraph:
The problem that our nation faces is very much like a marriage where one partner has broken, and has no intention of keeping, the marital vows. Of course, the marriage can remain intact and one party tries to impose his will on the other and engage in the deviousness of one-upsmanship. Rather than submission by one party or domestic violence, a more peaceable alternative is separation.

I'd add (and Dr. Williams seems to share the sentiment in the last sentence of his piece) that the best alternative of all is restoration, as hard as it might be.

Andrew McCarthy criticizes David Petraeus for statements he recently made about Israel.

A fascinating new phenomena: the "retrosexual." Apparently it's now cool for guys to dress so as to evoke the men their grandfathers were. (This link came via my friend Adrienne Royer who amusingly described this style as "Guys playing dress-up.")

Going through my bookmarks, I came across the opinion of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas in Bradshaw v. Unity Marine. No idea how I found this, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Last, a video from Caleb Brown, a George Mason University Econ student, describing the risks a couple in Alexandria, VA took to start a business. (HT Don Boudreaux)
blog comments powered by Disqus